Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Random Reddit Readings

Being the procrastinator that I am, I often spend time reading through random posts on reddit when I'm bored and in front of a computer (which is way too often).  By some strange coincidence, it seems like every other post I read yesterday was something I thought would be of interest for the blog.  So rather than put up a bunch of really short, unoriginal blog posts about each one, I decided to create one big, unoriginal post!

First, the first bathroom stall counter-argument I've ever seen:


Unfortunately, it ends with an argumentum ad baculum.  Too bad, it was quite a well thought out exchange before that, if you ask me.  



Maybe those fundamentalist Jains are right, after all.

I also learned that Religulous (by Bill Maher) is now available on Google Video.  Although I'm not a fan of Maher (calling yourself a rationalist while denying the effectiveness of modern medicine is obnoxious to me), I thought it was a good film, with plenty of funny and cringe-worthy moments.  It's worth a look if you haven't seen it before:


Next we get a late submission to the Draw Muhammad Day festivities, along with an old internet meme that I thought was dead by now:


It took awhile for me to parse that sentence, but I assure you it makes sense.

Finally, a few more serious posts.

First, this is apparently the website of a group of religious black supremacists, called YTPolitics - The Kingdom of Israel.  The images on the site are extremely graphic and offensive (very NSFW).  I'm not posting any of them here directly, because I'd prefer to stay off of government watch lists if I can.  As disturbing as this material is, its important to realize that even "extremism" has various levels of crazy and dangerous.

That said - here's the link to their site.

To end on a more positive note: There was a recent news story about Israeli bloggers finally getting  authorities to connect a Palestinian village to the water supply, with a two-and-a-half month campaign:


Hundreds of Israelis managed to overcome years of bureaucratic battles in only two and a half months – without ever leaving the house.

The viral activists used blogs, emails and social networks in order to pressure authorities to connect a Palestinian village to running water.

The group, in cooperation with Bimkom – Planners for Planning Rights Foundation, launched a blog entitled 'One action a day', with the aim of getting the Palestinian village of al-Tawana, located on Israeli territory south of Mount Hebron, water.


After two and a half months of activity, the tables finally turned. Two of the activists received phone calls from head of the Civil Administration Brigadier General Yoav Mordechai, who thanked them for the numerous letters and said the Civil Administration plans on connecting the village to a water supply in the near future.

"Truthfully, we didn’t think we would succeed. We simply wanted to raise awareness to one of the village's many problems. We were pleasantly surprised," said Uziel. 

It's nice to know that, despite religious difference, and tension in the region, there are a number of Israeli concerned about to condition of others, regardless of religion.  Not only that, but that an online community can make a difference in those situation.

So that's everything I found yesterday.  I'm like a pack-rat for internet posts and pictures, apparently.
blog comments powered by Disqus