Monday, July 19, 2010

NurdRage Makes Glow Sticks!

I recently ran across a YouTube channel called NurdRage, containing all kinds of really cool science experiment videos.  This one, for example, explains how glow sticks work, and how you can make your own (if you're willing to buy a few not-so-common chemicals):


I think the reason I like the video so much is that it's not just showing how to make a glow stick. It's teaching all about how it actually works, and even does some simple experiments to test his explanation of how it works. He makes a mixture that doesn't contain any fluorescent dye, to show that it won't light up, even though the energy source still exists in the jar. It's cool to watch, and it gives you real science, all at the same time.

If you have kids, these videos would be a perfect way to get them excited about science.  Since I don't have kids, I need to find another excuse to watch all of them...

(No excuse is actually needed, they're incredibly interesting and really well done.  Don't feel any guilt if you get sucked into them like I did.)
blog comments powered by Disqus