Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Brookhaven National Lab's new blog

ScienceBlogs has just added a few new blogs, including one for the Brookhaven National Laboratory on Long Island, NY, called Brookhaven Bits & Bytes.  I find this very cool, given that I grew up about 15 minutes away from BNL, and I know a number of people who have worked there, both currently and in the past.

I remember visiting the lab a number of times when I was a kid, getting to see the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, where they collide, you guessed it, heavy ions (such as gold), at relativistic speeds.  It's essentially a smaller, less powerful version of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Switzerland.  In fact, it was the world's most powerful collider until the LHC was operational.  The sheer size of the RHIC is amazing, and to think about single atoms needing so long of a track boggled my mind as a kid.  To think the the LHC is more than 7 times larger (17 miles long by circumference, as opposed to 2.4) is absolutely incredible.  I may not get a chance to see the LHC in person, but the RHIC was quite cool in and of itself.

I know being able to see things like the RHIC as a kid certainly influenced my love of science, so I'm glad to see that I'll be able to keep up with what's going on at BNL through the blog.

(via Pharyngula)
blog comments powered by Disqus