Monday, February 15, 2010

MIA the past few days...

I've been on Long Island the past few days helping my mom move, and helping the fiancee do some wedding planning, so I haven't had much time to write.  Here are a few stories I would have written more about, but didn't get to:

Anne Hathaway leave the Catholic Church in support of her gay brother.  In an interview with GQ magazine:

“The whole family converted to Episcopalianism after my elder brother came out. Why should I support an organization that has a limited view of my beloved brother?”

Hathaway, who also co-starred in Brokeback Mountain as Jack Twist’s wife, said that the Episcopal church isn’t perfect for her either.
“So I’m… nothing (no denomination),” she said, “Fuck it, I’m forming. I’m a work in progress.”

Glad to see others are leaving that homophobic, idiotic organization.  And I have something in common with Anne Hathaway now (besides all the adoring fans).


Rom Houben, who I've written about previously, was tested by his neurologist, Dr. Steven Laureys.  It was claimed that Houben was able to communicate through a keyboard with the help from a facilitator, through a technique called facilitated communication (FC).  Turns out, tests show Houben was almost certainly not communicating.  NeuroLogica and Respectful Insolence both have excellent posts about more of the details.  No surprise here, but as I said earlier, this has to be heart-breaking for Rom's family, if they're even willing to accept what the tests concluded.  I hope they're handling it alright. 

The NCAA bans messages on players' eye black.  How convenient that this rule would be put into place only a moment after Tim Tebow, the poster boy of evangelical collegiate athletes, and the most grievous would-be offender of this new rule, is no longer playing.  Hey NCAA, you're three years too late.  Hemant @ Friendly Atheist also has a story about it here.



...And I'm off to Massachusetts once again. 

1 comment:

  1. Reason number 4325 to fucking LOVE Anne Hathaway.

    ReplyDelete