Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Kent Hovind's Dissertation Leaked

"Doctor" Kent Hovind, noted young-earth creationist and founder of the Creation Museum, and the "school" where he got his "degrees", Patriot Bible University (their wikipedia page has a good description), have been criticized in the past for not releasing Hovind's "doctoral dissertation" to the public.  (I really hate using all of the quotation markings, but I have no choice but to express all the irony in that last sentence.)  PBU is basically a degree mill, with absolutely no accreditation (they don't even have a .edu domain name). 

Well, it has been posted on WikiLeaks, and it is everything I could have ever hoped for.  110 pages of nonsensical rambling, misspellings all over the place ("epic" instead of "epoch", "immerged" for "emerged"), and not a single citation (I expected to at least see bible verses at the end).  Check out the introduction:

Hello, my name is Kent Hovind. I am a creation/science evangelist. I live in Pensacola, Florida. I have been a high school science teacher since 1976. I've been very active in the creation/evolution controversy for quite some time.
 
A first grader must have helped him on that one.

The ramblings are pretty standard, but its always entertaining to see a long, fleshed-out argument from theses loony tunes.  Short sound-bytes just sound like plain-old ignorance, but being able to talk uninterrupted from 110 pages really shows how warped their intellect really is. 

When I feel overwhelmed by work on my own dissertation, I can look at this and think "We'll I know I have to at least do better than this!"  If you've got some time to kill and want a good laugh, check it out.

2 comments:

  1. It's debatable whether the word "Museum" also deserves some ironic quotation marks around it as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently I've been working too hard. I mixed up Kent Hovind with Ken Ham (note the strike-through now in the post). Ham founded the Creation Museum, Hovind is just another creationist loon. Its hard to keep track.

    ReplyDelete